Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
A Tummy tuck is a procedure that flattens your abdomen by removing extra fat and skin and tightening muscles in your abdominal wall. This surgical procedure is also known as a abdominoplasty
The problem of the abdomen is one of the most widespread problems nowadays, it affects negatively individual’s life in terms of psychology and healthy status, which forces many to choose tummy tuck operation in order to get rid of excess fat, and also get rid of stretch marks which happened after pregnancy and childbirth.
Generally belly fat puts pressure on all the organs around it, such as the liver, and thus puts more effort, disrupts its functions. Additionally, it affects the heart and lungs, so it may lead to breathing difficulties, which is considered a common problem for both men and women.
Tummy tuck surgery is considered as one of the most popular plastic surgeries at the present. It is one of the top 5 popular procedures in plastic surgery of 2009.
What is Tummy Tuck?
It is a surgical procedure, aimed to restore the shape of the abdomen back to its normal position by removing the excess fat, sagging, skin, tags, and then you can restore the shape of abdominal muscles to get a tight nice belly. Also, it works to shape the distended abdomen that doesn’t get better by exercise or diet, and stretch marks after pregnancy and childbirth.
When to go for it?
- After pregnancy and childbirth
- After losing weight
- After an abdominal hernia injury
Types of Tummy Tuck.
Full Tummy Tuck:
Where excess fat and skin are removed from the lower abdomen, and sagging muscles are tightened.
Mini Tummy Tuck:
Here its Simple, less complicated than the first one, as it can be performed for people who have skin growths in the lower part of the abdomen and belly button but they have strong and good abdominal muscles.
Who is the best candidate for Tummy Tuck?
- Both men and women whose bodies have not responded to exercise and diet.
- Those who appear to have a sagging abdomen after childbirth.
- For those whose weight has decreased rapidly, resulting in sagging skin.
- It is not performed for those under the age of 18.
Things to know Before Tummy Tuck
- The women have to have no intention of becoming pregnant for at least one year after the operation is done.
- You should discuss with the doctor, your expectations and the success rate of the operation.
- You got tired of diet and exercise before without results.
- It is not suitable if you have too much overweight, until your weight is lost through sports diet etc., or through liposuction surgeries, so small amount of fat and flabby skin remains, after that abdominoplasty operations becomes suitable.
- You must be in good health, psychologically, mentally.
- Its not performed for those under 18.
- You must stop smoking for two weeks before the operation, as well as medicines that contain aspirin.
- You must avoid food 12 h before the operation, or at least 6 h.
How its done?
After you prepare for the operation, tummy tuck is done through the following steps:
- You will be given a general anesthetic.
- The doctor marks the area where the surgery will be performed.
- In a full tummy tuck, the doctor makes an incision along the abdomen and around belly button, then raises the skin up, tightens muscles, removes excess skin, and then lifting belly button to its new location.
- After that, the doctor will sew the surgical area.
- Two tubes will be installed in the lower abdomen to filter the various secretions from it.
- At the end of the operation, the doctor places, a compression belt around the abdomen.
- In mini tummy tuck surgery, a short incision is made in lower abdomen, fat and excess skin are removed without tightening muscles, no tightening is done around belly button, so process is very simple if compared to full tummy tuck operations.
- procedure takes around 4 h.
- If all your body signs are good after surgery, you will be transferred from the intensive-care room to the inpatient rooms, and you can leave the hospital the next day.
When will I see results?
The final results of a tummy tuck may not appear immediately after the operation, but it may appear within a week or two, when you can stand up straight.
Before a Tummy Tuck
You should choose a surgeon with good experience and competence, don’t rely on the media to choose your doctor! But rather, communicate with people who have performed the operation before, clarify from them about the success of the operation, doctor’s care, cleanliness of the hospital and the quality of sterilization in it.
Also, you must follow the doctor’s instructions before and after the operation to get successful results!
Tips after a Tummy Tuck
- Tummy tuck operation usually takes between one and five hours, on the first day you need someone to help you move.
- When you go home, you should clear the secretions daily for a whole week.
- You should wear the compression continuously for 6 weeks.
- The doctor removes the drainage tubes 3 days after the operation.
- You will need to rest completely for two weeks, but also you have to walk inside your room to avoid strokes.
- You should not carry any heavy objects for 8 weeks.
- You may suffer from some swelling and bruising that gradually disappear.
- You cannot play sports like swimming until 2 months after the operation.
- Try to avoid foods that cause gas and flatulence
- You must drink a lot of fluids
- You should stay away as much as possible from processed foods and try to control your weight with exercise in addition of watching your calorie.
- you can return to normal life after two weeks at most.
Although it is an easy procedure, and it can be performed with great success in hundreds of cases annually, but like any other surgery, it has a serious complication may occur, such as:
- Complications from general anesthesia are many and may lead to death, so the anesthesiologist must be present throughout the operation until you wake up.
- The process may fail, and the patient may have even more sagging skin than previously in some rare cases.
- Bleeding may occur.
- Fat embolism, which is a rare problem.
You should see a doctor immediately if you notice any of the following conditions:
- A change in the color of the liquid drained from the filter tubes.
- A high temperature and feeling chilling or cold.
- If a bad smell comes from the wound.
- Much pain with sweating.