Gastric Banding Surgery
Gastric banding is one of the most common surgeries to get rid of obesity by reducing the amount of food that you consume, consequently reducing your weight.
In recent years obesity surgeries have spread out, it becomes more and more popular with many people who are suffering from obesity. These surgeries are various and different in terms of technology, but in the end they aim at one goal which is reducing the size of the stomach.
What is Gastric Banding?
Gastric banding is a surgery for reducing stomach size for those who want to lose weight.
Gastric banding surgery reduces the amount of food that the stomach can contain, helping to fill it quickly and feel full faster.
It does not affect calories but quantity, food is fully digested!.
People who undergo this surgery do not suffer from malnutrition.
What to expect during the surgery?
- The operation is performed by making five small incisions in the abdomen, each incision does not exceed 1cm long.
After that an endoscope inserted via incision, which is a medical instrument similar to a thin tube with a small camera attached to it.
- A band is placed around the upper part of the stomach using an endoscope, in this way It divides stomach into two parts, between them a narrow passage, which allows a small amount of food to slowly reach lower part of the stomach after a person has already felt full, so amount of food he eats decreases.
- The doctor controls the passage’s narrowing or widening between the two sections of stomachs, by injecting a saline solution by a specific needle, filling the band cavity to narrowing it , or removing the saline to makes it wider.
Thus, controlling speed of food while it goes to the lower part of the stomach.
Laparoscopic Gastric Banding:
Laparoscopic Gastric Banding can be performed for people with BMI greater than 40, or for those who suffer from a significant weight gain, more than 30 KG within five years, which have failed to lose already by traditional methods, where eating large amounts of food was one of their main causes of weight gain.
- Gastric banding is not performed for those under 18 years old or over 65 years old.
- The candidate should be in good health.
- Not suffering from liver or kidney diseases.
Results of Gastric Banding Surgery:
The results will appear several weeks after the surgery, when the person begins to eat less food, then the body burns stored fat, thus weight decreases. The results last up to 1 year or 1.5 , but in a few cases it can last for 3 Years!.
Advantages of Gastric Banding Surgery:
- The safest and least dangerous among bariatric surgeries.
- The ability to control narrowing or widening the band according to the desired speed of weight loss .
Disadvantage of Gastric band:
Like any other operations, the Gastric band includes some risks.
- A blockage in the narrow passage between the two sections of the stomach, which can lead to pain, nausea and vomiting.
- Band could Slip from its place causing stomach pain, feeling burning in the stomach.
- Esophageal Dilation: that result if the band is too narrow or because of consuming lots of food, which causes swallowing difficulty, and even lung problems.